National University of Ireland, Galway was established by the Colleges (Ireland) Act in 1845. The University was first known as Queens College Galway and along with it its sister colleges in Cork and Belfast, was established to provide non-denominational university education to Ireland’s emerging middle class.
The College opened its doors to its first intake of 68 students in October 1849. At the time, the College comprised three faculties, Arts (including Literary and Science divisions), Law and Medicine, as well as a School of Engineering & Agriculture.
In 1908, Queens College Galway was renamed University College Galway and was reconstituted as a constituent college of the newly established National University of Ireland, along with University College Cork and University College Dublin.
Under the Universities Act of 1997, the various colleges of the National University of Ireland were reconstituted as constituent universities. University College Galway was renamed National University of Ireland, Galway to mark the occasion.
Arts / Science Building Map
Art / Science Building
10 Room (Downstairs)
Ex Exhibitor Stands